In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1603
Online now 394 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
First, let me say I think 2014's class has a chance to be a monster class. With the in state talent and legacies like the berry twins, TK jr, Dillon Bates and a couple others, there is potentially a very solid base class. Tkj and the berry's are vol locks...IMO. Not sure about dillon bates.....anyone know much about Bill's interaction with the program in the last 20 years? Ive heard nothing.
Obviously we don't know exactly how the 2013 class will come together, but here are my thoughts.
In addition to the above, we will need a big haul in the following areas:
1) OL - will probably need at least one, maybe two juco who can start right away. Maybe a 5 star that starts from day 1, but prolly juco. Need to rebuild the youth as well.
2) DL - same as OL...probably need at least one juco DT that starts from day one. If we don't land Lawson this year, we will need a juco DE that can rush the passer from day 1.
3) RB - always looking for a difference maker here...I can hardly remember the last one we signed excluding Bryce Brown. I think after this class, we'll have the small, speedy dude covered...we need a 220 stud and I hope that's a guy like Jalen Hurd.
4) WR - if we get north, I'll feel much better, but if not, we're looking for an impact juco again. Based on he spread offense, we'll probably need a couple high impact players in this class even if we get north. I'm not sold on Harris yet, but if he's legit, we should be ok at WR if we get north.
5) TE - we need 2 in this class and one needs to be a stud. I'm assuming we get a juco this year. If croom can put on 15-20 lbs, I think he will be a stud TE.
6) LB - Johnson could go pro after 2013, but I doubt it at this point. Really need the spring to see where we are with Bynum and some of the younger guys. I dont think Harris can play, but we'll see. We need a couple studs here and hopefully bates is one of them. If you return Johnson, Maggie, Bynum, Harris, that's a decent start, but like almost every other position, we probably need a juco. At min a EE stud that can play in 2014. I also think king needs to be moved to lb'er.
7) DB - hopefully the berry twins are at least one of the DB's we need....maybe both end up in the secondary. Depending on who we sign, who doesn't return, etc, we probably need 5-6 DB's in this class with another juco in the mix.
8) kickers- need a fg and a punter.
9) QB - we'll see what we have with Worley and peterman. Ferguson will be ok I think. We need a top flight dual threat QB here, or we just take 1 average guy like the ones we aleady have.
Numbers will be:
OL - 4
DL - 5
TE - 2
K - 2
QB - 1
That's 27 and most likely we'll only be able to sign 25. Maybe we cut one lb and one kicker.
Where am I way off?
Staff writer for govols247 — http://www.twitter.com/RyanCallahan247 — firstname.lastname@example.org
What about Jalen Hurd? Does anyone know if Butch has made any contact with him? It would be huge if we could land him along with the others mentioned thus far in this thread. It also seems like I heard somewhere that he and Jalen Reeves Maybin have a relationship. If they do, hopefully he can do some persuading as well.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports