In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1039
Online now 1880 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
It's pretty obvious the gq crew is trying to bring the cuonzo hate to this board. It's ridiculous to be calling for Cuonzo head. Goes to show you why media bashes our fanbase... These guys would be missing the same shots with pearl as coach. The difference is we wouldn't be playing defense to make up for it.
This post was edited by Casvol31 16 months ago
I played all through high school and was a practice player at Tennessee. I now coach. I don't appreciate your comment. Regardless of my qualifications, people who were in fact qualified in their opinions on good coaches, had Cuonzo up for SEC coach of the year last year FWIW.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by Jtex87 16 months ago
Don't worry it's just Steven pearl posting garbage to get under your skin. That is only person I can think of that believes he is 99percent more qualfied than anyone else on board. Such an arrogant comment typical of a gq TOS member.
In regards to this being the least recruited starting 5 in Tennessee history, that is absolutely false. The starting line up consists of a 5 star, 2 high 4 stars, a high 3 star, and a 2 star senior. Throw in the fact that the 6th man (who gets more minutes than McBee) was also a high 4 star and no, this is most definitely not the least recruited starting line up or team in Tennessee history. Look up the Wade Houston Era and get back to me.
1. Do you set your expectations for basketball teams based on what they did the previous year? Is this a more logical way to set expectations than looking at the talent on the team and going from there? In a sport where one player can dominate a game, this seems kind of silly. It would be like saying UK should be a final four team this year despite losing every contributor form last year, silly right?
2. How has this team regressed? Away and neutral site losses to two ranked teams and UVA? Not exactly home losses to Austin Peay, and road losses to Chattanooga, Oakland, and Charleston.
3. I have no doubt that he will be on your hot seat.
Also, let's chill with the more qualified to comment than 99% board of the crap, you have no idea who you are talking to or who post here..
And this is why I like this board. +1 to someone who actually makes logical sense.
Maymon out, Golden hurt, McBee hurt, Reese finally getting to play his first game and the offense was struggling again. Yet the team never let up and to continued to play hard for Coach Zo. That speaks volumes to me. And Coach Zo had the guts to sit Stokes during the game to send a message to Stokes and to the team. That also speaks volumes to me. These games may be frustrating and difficult to watch at times but Coach Zo is my coach and an ugly win beats a beautiful loss any day of the week.
This post was edited by RunThruThe T 16 months ago
Good summary. I think Couzo is a great coach and even better man. However, we are tied for 253rd in the nation in scoring and 23rd in scoring defense (prior to tonight's game which will only serve to lower our offense ranking). It seems crazy that there is such a disparity. However, I also said the same thing about our football team. In hindsight, why was Cuonzo not considered for defensive coordinator over Sal?
I do like how the team does not quit. They have a lot of grit to them which is something not easily taught. Most teams dread playing against teams like ours and I think this will be the case as long as Cuonzo is our coach. Hopefully this will be for a long time.
Some concerns have been voiced that I do think have some validity to them. My $.02 -
1. Same offensive woes as year before unless Reese turns out to be the missing link.
2. While McBee may be hurt, he isn't an elite shooter and wasn't last year either. Maybe in practice. But we needed a pure shooter and it wasn't addressed in last class. I like his hustle FWIW
3. Maymon is hurt but it's been long enough to scheme around his being unavailable
4. Juco signees - Neither have made an impact. Would prefer to use schollies on 4 yr guys like Yemi.
5. Of Cuonzo's 9 signees - 2 are starting (yah!), one other is contributing (Yemi), and one looks promising (Reese). That's not 50% even if you count an unproven Reese. Adding the 2013 class - Hubbs will have an immediate impact but I think we are looking at 1 out of 3 signees contributing in the first 2 yrs. Too many mid- major guys
6. Point guard - Doesnt appear we've addressed biggest issue of providing back-up help for Golden. Moore (who??) was signed but is being outplayed by walk-on. Incoming signee, Landry, is averaging less than 3 pts a game after transferring schools. Reportedly struggling against better competition.
People need to chill on the recruiting and let it run its course. Recruiting relationships are built over the years nowadays. Let Cuonzo build relationships with recruits and then judge him. May turn out well, may not. This year was the first major year and he got one 5-star and 2 others who we will have to watch first. For people wanting better offense, a lot of open shots were missed tonight and all year. Gotta make shots at this level. Seems as though the D will be there with or without the shots.
Not going to argue with you but if you dont think Golden and Stokes haven't regressed or for that matter the whole team hasn't regressed on the offensive side of the ball then you are not being honest .
Also before you call someone out about a 99% comment maybe you should make sure that person is the one that made it.
This post was edited by GoVols2011 16 months ago
Stokes problem is himself and trying to be too nice. The skills are there he just doesn't have the button in him that is aggressive like Tobias did. Golden has improved since cuonzo came on. Had great yr last yr and led team so far this yr before one bad game with a bum shoulder.
I'm positive you're one of the most arrogant posters on this board. Congrats on that!
I am positive that you have no business making statements like this. You may not like the way the wins are coming but the bottom line is the team is winning. There is nothing exciting about this style of grind it out basketball especially while we are struggling at the point. Hopefully Reese will help with that. Our best player and floor general is out (most likely for the season). Everyone knows this is a different TEAM with Maymon on the floor.
There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction. - Winston Churchill
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports