In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1342
Online now 894 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
1. True or False: If we beat NC State, Tennessee wins 9 games and Dooley remains head coach through his contract which expires at the end of 2015.
2. True or False: If we lose to NC State, Tennessee wins 7 games AT MOST.
3. True or False: If we beat NC State, Tennessee goes on to win the SEC East this season.
4. True or False: If we lose to NC State, Kirby Smart is named as our new head coach after the season.
3. False. Wish it were true
4. False. Losing this one game doesn't mean the remainder of the season is going to be the same. Kirby Smart seems to be a likely contender if Dooley gets the boot. Mark my words. Dooley will not be fired after this season.
1. False. He gets a raise and an extention.
2. True...most likely 7
3. False...most likely second
1. and 2.: False - it's the first game, and it will take some time for this staff to see how this team reacts in game situations.
3. False - this game has no bearing on the conference standings.
4. False, because Dooley will be evaluated on this season as a whole, not just the NC State game.
False- he's coach beyond 2015.
False. One game. It's just one game.
False. If we beat some teams in the SEC east we will.
False. It's going to take lot to lead to coaching change. I'm not buying it.
I'm just not a big believer that this game is the most important game ever. It's the most important game until the next big game. That's Florida. It's a full season. Lots of hot seat coaches in September are hot commodities in December.
"Count it down with me. Five, four, three, two, one.
The national champion is clad in Big Orange!"
You are correct sir but after this game we will have a better idea of how good or bad Tennessee is. Personally, I think 1, 2, and 4 are true. I'm one of those guys that think momentum plays a role in how the game is played. I think a win boosts the team's confidence and helps them to relax, think less, and play faster in the next game.. and the next.. and so on.. but I fear that the players would feel the pressure from a loss given the do-or-die nature of this season as it pertains to their head coach. Pressure sometimes causes things like missed field goals and dropped balls which could impact the outcome of closely matched games.
Back to #3.. I don't think a win means we will win the East but I do think a blowout win indicates that we have a legitimate shot.
This team until proven otherwise folds under pressure and doesn't handle adversity well at all and that goes for the coach to. If we lose to NC St, the season could get ugly.
This post was edited by hdrizzle21 20 months ago
agreed.... i think we are potentially looking at 5-7 again if we lose tomorrow.... This game is HUGE for our confidence as a whole
Haha I don't think it will be that bad, we have to much talent for that. But 8 wins would be very very difficult.
I'm confused as to why my OP got downvoted... I'm not concerned with the number of upvotes/downvotes I get so don't feel like you have offset it but why would anyone have a problem with someone trying to initiate a healthy discussion about the importance of a Tennessee football game?
College football is far too unpredictable to use one or two early games to tea leaf the rest of the season, or the coach's future.
I would note that Mark "Hot Seat" Richt opened last season 0-2, losing to Boise State and then South Carolina. Instead of tanking, his team proceeded to win 10 straight and the Eastern Division.
Nobody has Richt on the hot seat anymore.
I believe some of us are tiring of every game resulting in a hire/fire decision with CDD. This game is one data point amongst many that Hart, Boosters and others must consider when evaluating CDD. Decisions, in my opinion, are not made on one data point. They are made on a body of work.
Is the roster improving? Is the staff improving? Are off-field issues under control?
I agree the game is important to show trajectory of improvement but it is not a binary hire fire decision.
1. True, but as an above poster mentioned, he may get an extension.
3. False, runner up.
4. False, there are way to many potentials to narrow it to one.
No offense, UGA didn't play anybody in those 10 games. They were probably favored in all of them. Wayyyy different story for us.
VF28- BTW, I did not downvote you and the forum is open to discuss all matters Vols. I just expressed my personal fatigue on the matter.
Your questions were on the minds of many I am sure.....
4 False statements. I believe that we will win between 8 and 10 games this year. If we win our first game it just makes it easier to get to where we need to be. GBO!!!!!!
I'm not the downvoter, but I agree with Tex. Hard to get much love for posts around here with conjecture about Dooley being fired or who the next coach is- even if you weren't insinuating that was how it's going to happen. That's not how I took it at least.
Those topics tend to lead to conversations more about drama and are not so much about football itself. I think that's probably the temperament of the board.
I agree. Thanks for the response +1. If I indicated that I think a decision should be made after the NC State game, that wasn't my intent. I'm only suggesting that I think we will have a better understanding of where we're at tomorrow night based on the outcome. That's not to say Dooley couldn't recover from a loss.. he certainly could but we would have to surprise some people I think. JMO
*Note- I am not including a bowl game in number of wins. Just the 12 regular season games.
3) False. Georgia's schedule is so soft. They will only lose one SEC game at most.
4) False. Hart won't pull the trigger so quick. He knows it will cripple the program.
Vols are back tommorow...that's all that matters right now.
1. False WInning or losing this game doesn't =9 wins or Dooley staying thru 2015
4. False Hart won't fire Dooley for losing this 1 game.
Their schedule does seem to always be soft, but they did beat Florida, Auburn and Georgia Tech, which always plays their best against the Dawgs.
I'm just saying everyone thought Richt was toast after 0-2, but he got it together.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports