In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1230
Online now 1400 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
While technically we don't have an opening thought it would be neat to create a big board of coaches.
1. Kirby Smart (Many people assume this would be Harts choice if he had to fill the HC spot when he first came. However the fan base is tired of the Saban tree and he has no HC experience.)
2. Jon Gruden (A lot of rumors out there on him but this one seems like a pipe dream and its not because of Cheek or money)
3.Tommy Tubberville ( former Ole Miss, Auburn, and current Texas Tech coach. Teams were always well prepared and disciplined. However Auburn seemed like they couldnt get away fast enough and some questions on his recruiting ability exsist.
4. Charlie Strong ( Currently has Louisville undefeated. Great recruiter great defensive mind. Many believe he would jump for the Arkansas job tho. *He is from Arkansas BTW)
5. David Cutcliffe (Turned Duke around. Went 44-29 at Ole Miss I believe at one time he was the the Notre Dame coach but had a health problem before he took the job. We all know what he's done for Tennesseeas OC. However he isnt a great recruiter and the staff he would bring with him is cringe worthy)
6. Willie Taggart ( Harbaugh disciple. Built the WKU football program and has done a tremendous job there. Former QB)
7.Greg Roman ( OC for the Niners. His name has started to come up in NFL coaching searches. Has also coached with the Panthers, Ravens, and Texans.)
8. Phil Fulmer (Would be like hooking up with your ex wife)
9. Mark Helfrich (Chip Kelly isn't leaving that Nike money in Oregon but his O.C. is in line for a HC job. I don't see this happening.)
10. Jack Del Rio. ( Great defensive mind however I dont see us hiring an USC alumni)
11. Chris Peterson (Head coach of Boise St. would be a great hire however he has a kid that needs a lot of medical attention. His family is very happy with the care they receive up north and would be reluctant to move. .he's also a scientologist and that may not go over well in East Tennessee.)
12. Gus Malzahn ( OC at Auburn where they won the national championship. Current head coach at ASU. Offense is fun to watch effective and entertaining. However can he recruit.)
13. Mike Gundy (He's a man! Probably won't leave OSU however.)
14. Rex Ryan. ( Why not. He's probably going to be looking for a job soon. Great defensive mind. Could get his players to run thru a brick wall.)
15 Eric Mangini (Former defensive player Offensive assistant and NFL HC.) He's still young and and is a great player motivator.)
16. Jim Leavitt (Had USF ranked #1.........current Niners lb coach.)
17. Mike Singletary (Great great great Motivator. Could be a lights out recruiter assuming he doesnt pull his pants down in recruits homes)
18. Everett Withers (former UNC and current buckeye D.C. area of expertise is secondary)
19. Sean Payton ( Looks like hes not gonna have a contract for 2013. What happens is anyones guess. However I'm sure the Saints will try and keep him but The Cowboys really want him. So what happens?)
20. Jason Garrett ( Cowboys season isnt going to plan. Jones loves Garrett who has a great offensive mind but wants Sean Payton back.)
21. Gary Patterson ( Has turned TCU into a BCS buster and now into a Big 12 contender. Austin may have an opening for him but if not could be a good pick)
22. Jay Gruden ( Considered an up and comer and not just because of his name. Doing pretty well with the Bengals............yes the freaking Bengals.)
Ok I know I left off plenty so add some names guys. This list is also not ordered in any way other then just the ways the names popped in my head,
Good job.. You put alot of work into this. +1
As far as my opinion, I am very much against anyone who hasn't proven himself as a head coach. No assistants nor coordinators for me.
Nice work and a lot of effort. I will give you an upvote for effort when I have some more and I do mean that but really... another 'who could it be thread'? To plagiarize the guys on Sunday NFL coverage "come on man".
Ya know Gus Malzahn is a name that hasn't come up much on these boards. I honestly feel like that hire would be a huge steal. Look at Auburn with then without him
Haha oh I understand that. But I had some free time and who doesnt love our annual coaching searches...........ugh...........sigh
Auburn is a train wreck. All that talent from those recruiting classes just wasting away.
Charlie Strong would be choice if we can't Gruden. Give me anybody but Tubberville and Smart.
Formally known as govols011 - follow me on twitter @C_Dillard6
Good list. +1.
I would probably add a couple of names to it.
1) Al Golden. (Turned Temple into a winner and has done a great job at Miami)
2) Vic Fangio San Francisco 49ers DC (San Fran's defense speaks for itself)
3) Brady Hoke (A proven winner and a totally off the wall candidate. Has a low salary right now but I think he's a Michigan guy)
Great post. To clarify, if I'm not mistaken, I think Cutcliffe was hired as the OC for Notre Dame, not HC. Jay Gruden would be interesting. Do you think Jay Gruden and Roman would be interested?
Also, how about Mariucci?
Golden and Strong are the 2 at the top of the list IMO. I think Golden wants to get out of Miami. There stadium is empty every Saturday.
Great additions. I would take Hoke off tho. He is a huge Michigan guy. Coached under bo schembechler up there.
Vic Fangio is very intriguing to me!
Absolutely on Jay Gruden. He very much wants a HC job. I'm not sure If Roman wants to come back to college but I'd imagine so.
I always liked Mooch. Wonder if he would get back into coaching. Age a factor maybe?
I bet he would bolt if offered. Miami is the definition of a dumpster fire.
Fangio is one of the best defensive minds in all of football....period.
Yeah we wouldn't have to pay him much.
Double Post. Go Vols!
This post was edited by eagle2565 17 months ago
What about Bronco Mendenhall? Would probably not leave BYU as he is LDS. Always has a strong D one rated #4 I think right now.
The journey to becoming an Ironman
Sumlin and Mullen.
Hes stated he wont leave. Great coach tho.
Could we steal a sitting SEC coach!
How about Mike Reilly from Oregon State
Heck of a coach...never leaving Oregon State. His dad coached there.
Since we are dreaming try this...Chavis as HC, with a staff of Graham, Sanders, Martin, Pittman to start with. Fulmer named associate AD in charge of football
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports