In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1351
Online now 1563 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Ok...lets be honest about this.
1. Graham left USCe for his alma mater and he was the only coach retained of Dooley's staff. He was then rehired by CBJ (this has been said multiple times as CBJ didn't want to just say he was retained but that he wanted Graham.
2. CBJ was working on reworking his contract as his contract length was completely different than every other coach on the staff. This probably would have resulted in a raise. The fact he was the 2nd lowest paid coach on staff was about to be irrelavant. It has also already been rumored that CBJ did counter offer whatever FSU offered.
3. While the RB's certainly improved over 2011, this COULD have been a result of a dominant O-line and a commitment by the staff to run the ball more.
4. Jay Graham was a very good recruiter but he wasn't the BEST recruiter on the staff. Thigpen would definitely rate higher than him...Martinez and Azzanni are also possibilities. Let's remember Azzannni is the RC for a reason and Martinez has coordinator experience.
5. Graham's best recruit in his recruiting career was Marquez North. A player who was deciding between UNC and UT after UT lost their top 3-4 WR's and plays in the SEC in a 100,000 seat stadium. Plus, there are still issues at UNC regarding violations.
6. CJG was not going to get an increase in responsibilities. The only possible change would be to add RC to his title and CBJ wasn't going to do that over someone who he is more familiar and comfortable with and is a good recruiter in their own right.
7. CJG made some SERIOUS recruiting tactical errors. He decided that a team that went 5-7, 6-7, 5-7, and during another season of 5-7...should go after the #1 athlete in the country (D. Henry) and the #1 pure RB (Derrick Green) with no backup plans. He should have gone after realistic targets (#8-#15)..for example, worked on guys like Jonathan Ford earlier in the process would have been very beneficial. You could say that Dooley is partially responsible for these decisions but Graham was a significant part of it. Side note---Thanks for SamVolsSam for pointing this out.
I am not saying this isn't a big blow but it definitely isn't the worst thing in the world. We don't know who will be hired and they could hire the best RB coach in the country. I guarantee that CBJ knows how this will sit with fans and donors not to mention how this could be used against us in a recruiting battle against someone like Jalen Hurd. Let's give him a chance to bring someone in before we destroy him or Dave Hart.
Staff writer for govols247 — http://www.twitter.com/RyanCallahan247 — firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan, no disrespect...but nobody cares about RBs at USCjr.
Lattimore was always going to USC with or without Graham
I think signing North to a 5-7 team was a major accomplishment. I also think being in Derrick Green's final 2 was a major accomplishment.
This is like when a girl breaks yo with one of your friends and instead of just admitting that the girl was pretty sweet, your friend insist on spewing craziness about how he never really liked her anyway.
CJG was a good RB coach. His position group made a huge jump not just compared to last year but during the course of the season. Saying he is a poor recruiter is just not true. The same people who get mad when we offer a three star can't get mad when we go after elite talent.
Why can't people just admit we lost a good coach?
Ding ding ding...........yes he was..........LOL at Graham can get Lattimore back then but UT is lucky to get Jabo with Graham now..........Graham was not even the biggest factor for M North. It was our WRs, law program, atmosphere, Chaneys O, our history, NEYLANDs 100k fans etc
Was Graham Lattimore's lead recruiter? The site has it blank. If so, you are absolutely correct.
However, he ALMOST whiffed this year when it came to RB's...which is his position and if he was the lead recruiter for Lattimore that should have given him even more ammo for recruiting.
As for someone else's comment about being in Green's top 2.....while it takes work to get there it really means nothing. Ask whoever was 2nd for Adrian Peterson, John Elway, Peyton Manning, etc. how great it was to be 2nd in their recruitment.
This post was edited by Seanbt 14 months ago
Didnt' say he was a poor recruiter...actually said he was good but just not the best and the Recruiting God some are making him out to be.
Sean is dead on most of this.........the RC title is a hollow title.........its in name only folks. The HC is the RC........he is at every program. You think the RC at Bama or OSU is not Saban or Meyer. It was Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley. It is Jones.
That is just a title to give 50k+ more to. UT would have given Graham a new deal and another raise.........this is worse than Tee easily.........much worse. But not end of the world.........might be a blessing.
JMO losing to Mizzou and vandy was a blessing bc it got us Jones vs more of Dooley. This is just a RB coach that was not proven at ALLLL. He might be good..........everyone is good at FL ST though.
Butch Jones. Who???
^^^ This ^^^
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
He missed Coach Sal...
Its not a stupid question until you ask it.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports