In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1321
Online now 1188 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Sorry it took sometime to share my experience, but I have a strict rule of no message boards for 24-hours after a tough loss (allow all the venting to get out before I come back). And since we both had some tough loses, I especially needed to wait...
Anyways, here are some of my thoughts on the game day experience and your team.
1) GREAT PEOPLE!! I think this has got to be on the top of my list. Everyone who we came across, talked to, and enjoyed the game with was very friendly and helpful. You all welcomed me with open arms and accepted this Spartan into Vol Nation. Keep up that great southern hospitality! Win, lose or draw, that is what fans like me will take away from their experiences, and tell all their friends about Tennessee and their fans. So you definitely represented well.
2) "GOOD OLE ROCKY TOP!!! WOOOO!!" MAN, is that GREAT song!! I have not stopped humming it, or randomly breaking out into full-blown song while marching around my living room. Truly something special and something to really treasure. I obviously love hearing MSU's fight song, but Rocky Top is something anyone can enjoy and love, and the Pride of the Southland does a great job playing it up! And it's great when the entire stadium (including myself) joins in on the singing.
3) Along with that, I love the fact that there was absolutely no piped-in noise/songs. Only The Pride of the Southland and the fans were making the noise, and that's all you needed. So many other schools (MSU included) will have random songs to pump up the crowd or chant D-Fense or whatever, but you guys keep it traditional. And that's what I love about college football, the TRADITIONS, and you have kept true to that. So big-time kudos for being who you are, and being awesome at it!
4) Vol Navy was really nice, and something very unique for you to enjoy. Now I just need to find me a rich friend with yacht that loves some Tennessee football! Do you need special permits or passes for that (like you would for a regular lot)? Or can basically anyone show up and dock their boat there???
5) LOVE the fact that you have cute girls in orange skirts tailgating and going to the game. I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of them!!
As far as the game and your team goes, here are my thoughts...
1) Tyler Bray is one hell of a quarterback! He definitely has all the tools and the physical attributes to be one of the nations best QBs. There were many throws that were not just good throws, but were 100% perfect, on the numbers with the WR in stride throws. He looked better than many current NFL QBs with some of the throws he was making. You definitely have someone special there!
2) Second half adjustments were made by the Gators, and definitely not made by the Vols. The Gators saw how they could exploit your defense in the 2nd half with QB/RB runs and outman your DL enough to create a hole for them to run through to get tot he next level. And once in the next level, the tackling in space was not there. Obviously lead to a lot of big plays for them that won them the game. Unfortunately, this is an obvious sign of being "out-coached" by Muschamp and staff. Hopefully, it's not a common trend otherwise for as good of a guy as Dooley is, he might not be the guy to bring you back to what you expect from your football team.
3) Your defense would definitely be best described as talented, but young with a strong front 7. The weakness with them is in the back 7 and their ability to tackle in space. Your front 4 was generally able to hold its own, clog up the middle and keep them to a no gain. But when they were not able to do that, and Florida runners were able to get to the second level, your secondary (and to some extent your LBs) simply could not stop them. They could have kept gains of 30-40 yards into gains of 8-10 yards, and it was these big plays that lead to directly lead to Florida winning (and winning pretty big) in the end. This is where the youth comes into play, not taking the right angle to get to the runner, and then not making the tackle once you get to them.
4) Your defense reminded me a lot of MSU's from two years ago (like I said before), talented but young. The good news is that they grow up and become talented and experienced players. We went from one of the worst defenses in the Big Ten in 2010 to the best in 2011 and 2012. So there is definitely hope for the defense and the team going forward.
5) I think patience is in order with Dooley. It might be topsey-tervy right now, but I think if you give him some time to stabilize things, make some coaching mistakes, he will eventually become a coach who will be successful for many years down the road. In college football, the most important attribute of a college coach is that you understand the culture of the school, the football program, the region/state, and the conference as a whole, and are fully up for the challenge. And I think its clear that Dooley does "get it" from that standpoint.
Best of luck the rest of your season!! I will certainly be rooting for you guys the rest of the season and beyond. The Vols will definitely be my team of the South, and one of the few teams I will root for in the SEC!
Thatnks, DS. Come back to Rocky Top anytime!
Thank Spartan. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. You also make some good, objective points about our team.
Thanks for sharing. I did the same, avoided the scene for about 20 hours. I did not want to muddy my attitude more than it was. +1
Another completely random observation while on here... You guys REALLY like to use the "VIP only" distinction for your posts. I can understand the Mods and people on staff using it, but seemingly random posters in random threads use it to keep whatever they have to say a secret from the rest of us. Very strange... this would not stand over on MSU's board...
Anyways... I realize that's a pretty dumb observation. And now back to your regularly scheduled message board.
1. So glad you had an awesome time. Sparty is ok in my book.
2. We use VIP because we don't want trolls and mouth-breathers ruining our conversations.
3. This goes hand-in-hand with Point 2. Your title led me to believe you were talking about Vol Nation, the crappiest UT board in the land. Man that board sucks.
Amen. I think that it has really hurt the growth of the board.
I can't speak for the rest of the posters but I never even look at that Tennessee subscibers box. I guess I never really think about others not being able to see it. It's honestly not intentional...on my part anyway. Thanks for the outsider view and don't be a stanger, we really enjoyed your posts.
Double Spartan..Did you attend the Vol walk?
I think some people accidentally keep the 'VIP Only' box checked without knowing. Myself included. Apologies.
Absolutely no need to apologize. Just something I noticed when I came over here. But boy, you southerners sure are gracious, apologetic people. Got to love it!!
Yup. That was also pretty cool. And I took a video, but apparently you can't attach videos (just photos). We do something similar at MSU, and its tradition for the players to throw pennies at the Sparty statue for good luck. It's something Duffy Daugherty used to do back in his day and brought back by Coach Dantonio.
Great post Sparty and dead on I think.
Glad you had a good time... forget last week- just beat Michigan and OhNo St& go Spartans
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports