In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1321
Online now 1080 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Players change, but uniforms are timeless. Well, unless you're wearing Nike Pro Combats.
What are your favorite SEC jerseys? This should (but probably won't) be independent of how we feel about the schools themselves.
Here's how I rank them (excluding Tennessee, because we'll all want to rank them first):
1) Alabama. Timeless, traditional, intimidating. I can't stand the Tide, but it's hard to knock their jerseys.
2) LSU. The Tiger whites convey power and intensity. The quirky yellow helmets provide nice Cajun flair.
3) Auburn. The last time the Tigers changed their look, Bear Bryant was a cub. At least that's how it seems. The only people who hate Auburn's jerseys are Tide fans and Alabama native Helen Keller. And I'm not sure which party is blinder.
4) Texas A&M. As you can see by now, I give points for tradition, and the Aggies specialize in that category. A&M knows its brand and stands by it.
5) Georgia. When the Bulldogs gave in to Nike and wore weird Pro Combats, I was disappointed. Their look is one of the most consistent in college football. The red & black are as iconic as the hedges and that ugly brute Uga.
6) South Carolina. I love the way Carolina alternates wearing red and black. Both look great. Under Armor has done a good job taking a brand with little tradition and creating something classy and sharp.
7) Ole Miss. The Rebels do a good job interchanging their red & blue jerseys. I never liked their number font until their recent change. The Rebs have a slightly above-average look compared to the rest of the nation, but they rank in the middle of the SEC.
8) Missouri. The Tigers' Power M isn't exactly as strong as the Power T, but it looks mighty good on a helmet. I've always enjoyed their black-and-gold look, but the Tigers lose points for their new jerseys, which appear to be horrendous. Their new helmets make me want to send the school back to the Big 12 -- or to Siberia for punishment.
9) Arkansas. The Razorbacks can't figure out what they want to do with their design. Their color scheme lends itself to a traditional look, but they're unveiling the opposite this year.
10) Vanderbilt. The Commodores have sharp colors, but their jerseys change every couple years. Little tradition. No identity. Just like their program.
11) Kentucky. Nothing noteworthy about the Wildcats' look, although the blue helmets look sharp and the black jerseys they wore against UT looked sleek.
12) Mississippi State. They've always looked bland and second-rate to me.
13) Florida. The design is tacky and the pale orange color looks like dreamsicle vomit.
How do you rank them?
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by WesVols 21 months ago
I agree with you on several of these, but my list looks a little different.
3. Vanderbilt (their uniforms used to look cheap, but they've been good ever since they switched to Nike)
4. South Carolina
5. Ole Miss
8. Missouri (call me crazy, but I kind of like the new ones)
9. Kentucky (simple but good, IMO)
12. Mississippi State
13. Texas A&M (their uniforms have always bored me, just like Mississippi State's, but I think State's uniforms have been better than A&M's lately)
Staff writer for govols247 — http://www.twitter.com/RyanCallahan247 — firstname.lastname@example.org
13. South Carolina
13. Ole Miss
13. Mississippi State
13. Texas A&M
Sorry I don't like any of them.
This post was edited by Pastor Jax 21 months ago
Ditto Pastor Plus 1
Under Armor's new pant design cut the stripes at the bottom of the leg on Auburn's traditional uniforms last season. I joke with a friend of mine that went to Auburn, that now they have swords on their pants. The new pants would have to move Auburn down on my list. Let's hope they have gotten that fixed this season.
This post has been edited 3 times, most recently by BrisVol 21 months ago
Texas A&M's new uni's aren't anything special. I think they've lost their traditional feel and have gone gimmicky... but in a bad way.
Vandy's new uni's are cool. I'm digging the new white helmet for their white out uni's.
Of the other schools I like LSU's, BAMA's, ARK's & UGA's. Honorable mention likes, KY's uni's are okay, nothing special, but not bad. AU's are timeless and classic. MIZZOU's are pretty nice too.
The other schools uni's are terrible. I think USCjr's are too busy. UF's I hate because a) it's UF and b) I just hate the day-glo color of orange they use. Then Ole Miss and Miss St... who cares.
TN's are obviously the best. I just hope that we can update and stay current with the times, but keep the timeless tradition that we have in place. BAMA's pro combat uni's were a perfect blend of tradition and current trends.
I love the Vols but the current uniform is one of the worst looking uniforms in college football!! The colors are incorrect and dull looking!
I've always liked UTs all-whites best of any team's unis in the SEC
Also like all-whites of Bama, LSU and Florida
On Twitter: @Niebuhr247
Hmm ... that's interesting. I've always thought Tennessee's home uniforms were far superior to its road uniforms, which have seen tons of minor tweaks over the past 15 or 20 years. It's interesting to hear from someone who really likes the whites over the home uniforms.
Of course, I guess a person's opinion of UT's home uniforms depends on how much he or she likes that particular shade of orange.
The all whites look awesome. I think we should wear them at home too.
GO VOLS!! VFL!!
I know it would be jumping on a bandwagon ,but a one time done right black and Orange uniform would look incredibly intimidating. Im not a fan of straying away from tradition but a one time deal at a night game would be awesome.
But wouldnt we have already used our one time deal up?
I would however be willing to see the black and orange on certain seasons night games if it falls very close to Halloween, like on Halloween eve.
This post was edited by Tithulta 21 months ago
Always thought LSU had some of the best uniforms in the country. Other than the Vols obviously.
True. I was thinking more along the lines of a better planned out more matching uni. The mix and match was ok. It seemed to motivate them that night. The Halloween idea is a good time for it.
The all white Tennessee road uniform is by far my favorite.
Thanks for posting, SectionP!
Your team. All the time.
Thanks for chiming in, jj!
I really like LSU's uniforms with the purple jerseys and my least favorite is Mississippi States.
I really really like the white jerseys on orange pants. They get me all fired up
"Count it down with me. Five, four, three, two, one.
The national champion is clad in Big Orange!"
That's interesting to me. I've never been a big fan of the all whites. I like those old throwbacks with the orange on the shoulders or I've wondered about somehow incorporating the checkerboards on the shoulder. I also like the orange pants. Hard for me to embrace having less orange in any situation.
Bright orange and white? They haven't changed their uniforms other than wearing orange pants at away games, which i personally like, so "current uniforms" doesn't make sense. Colors are incorrect? It's always been orange a white bro. Dull looking? Bright orange is about as vibrant as it gets...
The uniforms are great.
3. South Carolina
4. Texas A&M
8. Ole Miss
10. Mississippi State
The orange is a different shade of orange on the new tech fit or whatever they call it uniforms. It is a lighter color. I know this because I do photography at Neyland. It is hard to notice Until you put the two side by side but when you do it is obvious! I love our orange don't get me wrong! The helmet is actually closer to the right color since we introduced the new style unis. Look back at some photos and you will see what I am talking about. Go Vols!!
A UT athletic employee once told me their challenge isn't figuring out which shade of orange to use; the problem is that UT orange looks different depending on the surface it's on. The same shade of orange may look lighter on a helmet than it does on a jersey, or vice versa.
Random fact many with UT-decorated houses may know: UT orange is PMS 151.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports