In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1725
Online now 1274 Record: 6475 (12/7/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Our get to know a poster series continues with LWS. Thank you, LWS, for doing this. LWS, it's tradition to pick the next victim at the end of the day (so I don't have to lol). If you could just post who that is here, I'd appreciate it.
1. Are you a fan of the LLWS (Little League World Series)?
2. How awesome are you? Scale of 1 to Awesome.
3. I'm am sickly impressed with your spreadsheets. No question. Just mad props.
4. Are you going to Mizzou this year?
5. What has been your best experience at Neyland?
Wow, this one could be great. Hope LWS sees it!
Your team. All the time.
1. It is fun to watch. I watch if not out doing something else. It is more exciting when a local team is there.
2. Awesome at what? Sitting on backside, a 10. Running a marathon, a 1 (really zero but was not an option). In general, a 7.
3. Thank you. Updating several of them now and will be up loading changes.
4. Yes, planning to go.
5. 1982 Alabama game. Having seen Bama march for the kill so many times versus us, it was extremely gratifying to see CJM and the Vols stop the Tide from doing what we thought they always did. Only time I've ever felt the lower level sway from the crowd noise.
Since you really seem to study recruiting closely:
What do you think is the best UT recruiting class you can remember (based on final production, not signing day rankings)?
Who is your favorite recruit out of this 2014 class (committed or not)?
Prediction on who will be the highest rated 2014 signee not named Jalen Hurd?
Thanks, LWS! Really love what you bring to the board. I'm a spreadsheet geek, so I devour all of your data and info.
I accumulate date on recruiting but I don't study recruiting or track like I did 10 years ago. I just can't get into following it closely until December timeframes. It has gotten way too early a process for me and is too time consuming. I can't tell you who is committed to the Vols right now and am not that familiar with most names they are currently chasing. Know some because you can't be on message boards and not see names.
1. 1997. 3 All Americans, 7 All SEC players and 14 of them played in NFL at least one season. We signed 27 in the class.
2. Todd Kelly. Working hard to get players here. What we need, someone to help get word out.
3. probably Bates or Kelly but I've not studied that close yet.
1. Where do you get your UT insight?
2. What is your favorite thing about 247 sports?
1. Not from where most people think, LOL. I know a lot of Athletic department people but rarely repeat anything told to me unless I've verified from outside the AD with others. AD personal don't always get things right. Most of what I share, comes from non AD personal and I rarely will share anything without getting it from multiple people.
Being a season ticket holder since middle 70s and being a donor since inception of VASF (now Tennessee fund) has allowed me to meet a lot of Tennessee people inside and outside the program. I've been very fortunate.
2. To be honest, I've still got to learn many of the features of 247. What I already know though, is they have the best high school evaluators of any recruiting services. I trust their evaluations by far over others. Shannon and Bobby have been doing this for quite a while and have a string of successful endeavors since the early 90s.
1. How many wins do you think Butch needs to get under his belt his first two years to keep him from being "on the hot seat" going into year 3. (love Butch and hope fans can be patient but worried they won't).
2.Do you think, if he can, him signing a couple top 5 classes the next two years would buy him extra time or keep the fans on his side longer than they did Dooley if he has a couple rough seasons?
3. Have you met Butch yet, if so impressions? If you haven't what do you like, what do you think he could improve on, what questions do you have left unanswered?
4. What is your favorite part of a Tennessee home football gameday? Is it your tailgating group? Walk to the stadium? The T? Circle Drill? You name it?
5. Do you think South Carolina is going to be able to sustain their success past Spurrier? I live in Cock Country and this is a constant debate I have with their fans.
1. Oh, I think there will be a segment of fans that will have him on the hot seat after 2 years regardless. I don't the administration has any sort of win totals in mind to put him on the hot seat. They didn't with CDD IMO. What got Dooley was his management of the program, not the win totals. I think as long as Butch continues his performance in the manner he has thus far, he will be fine. I expect win total of 10-12 games at best for next two years.
2. Yes, that would keep a lot of fans more patient. JMO
3. We have met. Thus far he has answered my biggest question of him and this staff. Understanding the effort required at recruiting.
4. Showing other people the UT experience. I've seen so many of the things you mention so many times, they don't do much for me any longer. I'm sure part of that has to do with being down the last several years. Those things are more enjoyable when the program is at top of game. An example of what I'm talking about is, we are hosting 6 couples for the Auburn game this year. 5 have never been to a UT game. We have reserved a cabin outside Pigeon Forge for a fun weekend. I look forward to showing the UT game day to this group.
5. All depends on who they hire. I started saying 10-12 years ago, whenever Fulmer left (fired or retired) the likely hood of Tennessee going through several coaches trying to find another winner was much more likely than hitting the winner with hire # 1. Just the way things work. I'm optimistic that Butch might be the guy. If so, that would be a much quicker home run than most schools go through..
1. Describe the perfect sandwich (homemade).
2. Have you ever had a better cookie than the iced lemon cookies from Ham'n Goody's?
3. If Kevin came up to you and just grabbed you and hugged you, would you knee him in the crotch or kiss his cheek (you only get those two options on that one)?
4. Painful rectal itch in a crowd...what do you do?
5. If the answer to 4 is scratch, how long do you wait before you can rub your nose?
6. Most famous person you've ever shaken hands with?
7. Favorite non-alcoholic beverage?
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
LWS, what are your thoughts on the hokey pokey?
Do you consume alcohol? If so, what is your drink of choice? If not, what drives you not to drink?
What part of America do you live in? Tell us some history that we might not know about the area.
What was your major in college and how does it apply to your work life?
What is the perfect breakfast, in your opinion?
What is your opinion of Harvey Dent?
1. Chicken Salad made by my wife.
2. never had iced lemon cookie so I'll say yes.
3. kiss his cheek
4. head to closest restroom to take care of.
5. ready right after washing hands. :)
6. I guess Al Gore. Wanted to say Coach Summit, Fulmer or Majors but I imagine more people know Gore than those 3. Talked to Gore on Bourbon Street after 1990 Sugar Bowl. Can't think of anyone else....
7. iced tea.
good one's. LOL
When you make a PBJ sandwich- Do you use Strawberry or Grape Jelly??
1. not many thoughts on it. was okay when younger.
2. yes. Beer person. My current life style trying to learn to enjoy wine. Blue Moon is favorite right now.. I seem to change every couple of years.
3. Mount Juliet TN. Only been in this area a couple of years so not up on all the history. Known as town between the lakes. (Old Hickory and Priest).
4. Never went to college. Retired 14 days ago. Went to work out of high school in IT and spent 48 years trying to keep up with changes in that industry.
5. Hardee's steak and biscuit with beer on the way to Knoxville or road game on a fall Saturday. Had a customized van back in late 70s / early 80s. Would load up with 6-7 others and that would be first stop before we left Nashville area on way to games. Those were some really good trips.
6. okay. only remember him in that batman movie. I'm not a big movie person..
prefer strawberry but have done both..
Congrats on your retirement!
Do you think it is likely -- or unlikely -- that we win at least 6 and get to a bowl this year?
Do you think that getting to a bowl will be important in retaining and building on this class, or can Butch keep it alive with 5 or fewer wins?
Is 2014 the breakthrough year, or is it going to be even tougher to be successful considering what we lose on both lines?
Always appreciate your insight!
1. Thank you.
2. At this juncture, I think unlikely to get to 6. Too much newness and change again. Not enough depth at too many position groups.
3. No. these guys have proven to work hard at recruiting. that is what leads to success in recruiting. As long as they work hard and are somewhat honest with recruits, they should do well.
4. I think the next two years are 5 or 6 win type seasons. I don't know how you define breakthrough year but if it is competing for east, I think we are 4-5 years away from that. CBJ needs to rebuild roster. They are in a tough spot because they really can't leverage all the outstanding OL talent this year and will have to rebuild it next year, along with several other groups. They have a challenge IMO.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports